Sunday, March 2, 2014

The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

On Thursday, mom and I traveled down to Peoria to see Dr. Keung (pronounced Kern).  We arrived early, so I was able to get a series of tests done and out of the way.  I had to do a peripheral vision test, have pictures of my optic nerves taken again, have my optic nerves measured, as well as the regular eye chart exam. 
 When we saw Dr. Keung, we were able to see my MRI photos.  It is so weird seeing your brain and eyeballs from all different angles!  I was talking to doctor about all the side effects from the Diamox.  She suggested we stop the meds for the next 3 weeks.  We also decided that the best way to proceed is to go ahead and have the lumbar puncture completed.  There was concern after the MRI about having it done because of the positioning of my brain (my "tonsils" of my cerebellum are positioned a little lower than most normal brains).  There is a 1 out of 1000 chance that the lumbar puncture could cause them to shift even more.  Dr. Keung and the radiologist spoke about it and feel comfortable pushing ahead with the puncture. 
So, Dr. Keung ordered a series of labs and scheduled a lumbar puncture for March 18th.  She assures me that they use an x-ray to help them guide the needle.  They will numb the area, and I should hardly feel anything.  I just hope that she is right!
It has only been 3 days without the medication, and all the side effects are gone!  Unfortunately, the headaches are back.  :(  I certainly hope that I can get them under control using over the counter medications. 

No comments:

Post a Comment